Farmers and value-added food entrepreneurs can get expert advice from USDA, USDA-SARE, and WI DATCP grant managers on how to apply for grants to improve their food production operations. For more information, see the University of Wisconsin Extension press release below.
Contact: Andrew Bernhardt, 608-890-0097, email@example.com
Workshops provide information about applying for agricultural grants
Madison, Wis. – Farmers and other value-added food entrepreneurs can learn strategies to access state and federal grants by attending workshops sponsored by University of Wisconsin-Extension in partnership with Michael Fields Agricultural Institute, DATCP, SARE, USDA Rural Development, FSA, NRCS and several farm credit agency banks.
The workshops, being held during October in Janesville and Montello and during November in Ashland and Shawano, will provide information about potential grants, the basics on putting together a strong grant proposal, cost share programs and other financing options.
Each workshop consists of five main components:
- An overview to agricultural grants, grant writing and what makes a strong grant proposal.
- A lunch-time presentation from a local grant awardee talking about his/her grant experience.
- Description and overview of Ag Grants from grant managers for USDA Value Added Producer Grant, USDA-SARE Farmer Rancher Grant, USDA Specialty Crop Block Grant, and WI-DATCP Buy Local, Buy Wisconsin Grant.
- A group exercise that allows participants to review actual proposals and gain hands-on experience at grant-writing.
- Specific info on other financial options (such as FSA loans, traditional bank loans and NRCS cost share programs) specific to Wisconsin.
Dates, locations and registration:
Oct. 28, 2014 – Janesville; contact: Kim Mork firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-757-5696
Nov. 4, 2014 – Montello; contact: Lyssa Seefeldt email@example.com or 608-297-3136
Nov. 5, 2014 – Ashland; contact: Jason Fischbach firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-373-6104 ext. 5
Nov. 12, 2014 – Shawano; contact: Jamie Patton email@example.com or 715-526-6136
A registration fee of $15 will cover the cost of lunch and materials. Please register at least one week in advance.
For more information about:
VAPG, please go to: http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rbs/coops/vapg.htm
ADD, please go to: http://www.datcp.state.wi.us/mktg/business/marketing/val-add/add/index.jsp
SARE, please go to: http://www.northcentralsare.org/
SCBG, please go to: http://datcp.wi.gov/Farms/Crops_and_Specialty_Crops/index.aspx
BLBW, please go to: http://datcp.wi.gov/Business/Buy_Local_Buy_Wisconsin/BLBW_Grants/index.aspx