Hopefully, you will have finished or nearing the end of harvest by mid-November and will be ready to attend Extension’s Pest Management Update series. County Extension agents across Wisconsin will be hosting Pest Management Update Meetings during the second and third weeks in November. The purpose of each meeting is to review the past growing season and provide updates on research that can be applied to your farm. The speakers are Extension State Specialists including:
- Bryan Jensen, Entomologist
- Damon Smith, Field Crops Pathologist
- Dan Heider, IPM Specialist
- Mark Renz, Weed Scientist for Perennial Cropping Systems
- Vince Davis, Weed Scientist for Annual Cropping Systems
Please register one week prior to the event. For a complete schedule of meetings including county agent contact information, please go here. Registration includes lunch, an information packet, and a copy of the 2015 Pest Management in Wisconsin Field Crops book. Four hours of CEU pest management credits will be available at each location. The registration fee is $40.
The University of Wisconsin and UW-Extension produce a wide array of educational videos. Most of these videos are posted on various YouTube channels.
Attention Tablet and Smartphone Users!
Universities and private companies have developed an array of applications for agriculture. Here at the University of Wisconsin, the Integrated Pest and Crop Management program has produced three apps: Wisconsin’s Corn Nitrogen Calculator, Nitrogen Price Calculator, and the IPM Toolkit.
Other free apps:
- ID Weeds by the University of Missouri Extension for Android and iPhone. For the web page, go here.
- Aphid Speed Scout by the University of Nebraska.
- Ground Spray by the University of Nebraska for Android and iPhone.
- PeRK by the University of Nebraska, an app for pesticide record keeping available for Android and iPhone.
- SoilWeb for Android and iPhone. The California Soil Resource Laboratory designed this app to use data from the USDA-NCRS to identify your soil type based on your phone’s GPS location. If you haven’t bought a smartphone, you can still access the data at the Web Soil Survey.
- Nitrogen Calculator, University of Illinois, covering Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin.
- Extreme Beans developed by the United Soybean Board.
- MixTank by Precision Laboratories is free but a fee is charged for integrated weather data.
- The Northern Plains Integrated Pest Management Guide was developed collaboratively between University of Minnesota Extension, South Dakota State University, Kansas State University, Iowa State University Extension, North Dakota State University Extension, University of Nebraska Lincoln Extension, and the North Central Integrated Pest Management Center.
- Farm Fuel Budget by North Dakota State University for Android only.
- FuelLog, by Simon Morgenthaler, will track fuel consumption, miles, maintenance and much more for your vehicles. Free and fee versions available.